Creationism and the problems of communication with extraterrestrial civilizations.
After the publication of scientific article about SETI [ 1] the following letter from the reader from the USA came to the our journal staff: “Does the editorial board of the Space Colonization Journal understand that the Darwin’s theory mentioned in the text , as well as the assumption that the intelligent life exists on the other planets, are on the contrary to the concept that the universe was created by God, and human beings are created in the image and likeness of God?”
For a long moment the editorial board did not know how to respond to the reader.
Finally it was decided to conduct a small statistics research about why creationists and people with extreme theological views penetrate into interpretation of the world physical phenomenon.
First the journal staff turned to the Russian statistics of the educational level to understand the reasons of world physical phenomenon simplification in the society. Sad facts were find out, for example, in 2011 VTSIOM (Russia Public Opinion Research Center) has conducted a poll , in which 34 % women and 29 % men responded that the Earth is in the center of the Universe and the Sun orbits around it, while 14 % respondents answered that the Earth orbits around the Sun. The US statistics roughly corresponds to the Russian one. Statistics show a breeding ground for creationism.
Secondly, without resorting to criticism creationists, it was decided to consider the the Catholic Church representation on extraterrestrial civilizations as catholics gave a few reasoned opinion without extreme beliefs.
Director of the Vatican Astronomical Observatory Jose Funes said: “If there are extraterrestrial beings somewhere, they should be treated as our brothers and God’s creation».
Taking into account the Jose Funes’s statements, the following questions arise:
1) whether intelligent life may not be proteinic? If yes, in this case, the proteinic form of life – human beings is created in the image and likeness of God, then on whose image and likeness the species of non-proteinic intelligent life form were created?
2) if people and the non-proteinic forms of life, after all, were created in the image and likeness of God, what is the ” image” and “likeness” of God? Is it the similarity of bodies and higher nervous activity of proteinic and non-proteinic intelligent life forms?
3) if we assume that the image and likeness of God are not a physiological similarity of bodies, but the similarity of the higher nervous activity organization, so how the creatures having the same unconditional reflexes could appear in the vast distances and at different planets with their environmental conditions? As you know, the conditional reflexes are developed on the basis of the unconditioned reflexes and conditional and unconditional reflex activity is higher nervous activity;
4) we assume that individuals of non-proteinic form of intelligent life has no unconditional reflex of salivation to food. Imagine how the arts and culture, etc will change. Will these beings be created in the image and likeness of God?
5) we assume that non-proteinic intelligent beings reproduce through a process of informational induction by an electric field, and intelligent proteinic beings reproduce like amoebas – through division. They have no concept of “mom” and “dad”. How can people – beings created in the image and likeness of God – explain these creatures that people are their brothers or sisters, if the language of these creatures is has no gender indication, and its words can not be divided on the masculine and feminine gender, and the language is not sound, but scent or on the basis of electric discharges?
The author of this article raises the questions 1-5, without exploiting the idea of creating another unanswerable question to annoy the Church: can God create a stone that he not raise?
Despite the apparent theological context of the note the contained questions are interesting from the scientific point of view as questions of search for ways of communication with extraterrestrial civilizations.
If humanity will understand how to communicate with extraterrestrial civilizations, it will be clear how much the aliens are like people, and so far how much the Church is right in its statements. However, for this purpose, it is necessary to prove scientifically the existence of aliens.
Since the Space Colonization Journal was also unexpectedly included in the library of Western Theological Seminary , it is hoped that this problem also occupies the minds of theologians.
The author showed a point of contact between science and religion by this note.
Image for the note was taken from .